Thursday, January 3, 2013

In the Beginning

     I began playing with decalcomania in the art room using tempera paint and 80 pound sulfite paper. It was a lot of fun, but I was unsure of where to go with it.
     A trip to New York City answered some of those questions. I saw work that reminded me of my own decalcomania, although much more refined. The artist I was looking at used sumi-e ink as opposed to paint.

     As soon as I returned home I bought some sumi-e ink and continued to experiment. I found by pulling, pushing and lifting the paper in various ways I could alter results. I also discovered that if I used a synthetic paper called Yupo my results pleased me even more. Plus it gave me the added benefit of being able to lift pigment off the paper.  These are two of those early pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment